Casserole dishes are one of my favorite things to make. They are easy to put together and then put in the oven and let cook while you get other stuff around the house done.
This recipe for Unstuffed Green Bell Pepper Casserole has become a favorite at our house. I definitely prefer the unstuffed pepper casserole to regular stuffed peppers. Everything is already cut up and there isn’t as much of a trial and error on cutting it open. This recipe is a time saver for sure.
Options for Ingredients in Unstuffed Green Bell Pepper Casserole
Ground Beef: For a rich and hearty taste I used ground beef. You can use ground turkey or ground chicken as a substitute if you would like to have a lower fat option.
Green Bell Peppers: If you prefer a sweeter tasting option you can use yellow or red bell peppers instead of green bell peppers.
Rice: White rice is our preference in most dishes for our family, but you can use any type of rice that you choose for this recipe.
Sea Salt: If you don’t have sea salt you can substitute table salt or Himalayan salt.
Provolone Cheese: Mozzarella is another great option to use on the top of the casserole.
- 1 lb Grass-fed Ground Beef
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- ½ Medium Sweet Onion, diced
- 1 14.5oz can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Uncooked White Rice
- 1 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese, divided
- 6 slices of Provolone Cheese
- ½ tsp Ground Garlic
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Brown the ground beef and cook rice as specified on the packaging.
- In a large mixing bowl add browned beef, cooked rice, Italian herbs, garlic, diced tomatoes, cut green peppers, and diced onion, combine and mix well.
- In a large casserole dish add ½ of the mixture from the bowl, and layer ½ cup of shredded parmesan evenly on the top. Add the remaining ½ of the mixture from the bowl to the casserole dish.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
- Add the remaining ½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese evenly on the top. Lay the 6 slices of Provolone cheese evenly spaced on top of the shredded parmesan.
- Bake at 375 for an additional 10 minutes